I’m honoured to have been asked to join the judging panel for this year’s FREE TO ENTER Orwell Society Student Dystopian Fiction Competition.
Loads of people in my network have contacts in UK Universities. That’s why I wanted to share the details here to encourage as many entries as possible.
We are looking for stories ‘which best follow in the tradition set by George Orwell in Nineteen Eighty-Four and which Orwell is most likely to have admired.’
Richard Blair, George Orwell’s son is on the judging panel with other distinguished individuals from publishing and academia. And me!
Winning an award in this competition during my sabbatical year at Goldsmiths changed my life.
That one short story gave me the confidence to take my life in a completely different direction.
Today I have three full-length dystopian ‘Rockstar Ending’ novels under my belt, and another one now on the way.
Key details of the competition are:
– Free to enter
– Deadline: 29th February 2024
– PRIZES: £750 and a bronze bust of George Orwell (to be passed onto the next year’s winner)
– Presentation at The Orwell Society AGM in London 11th May 2024
– Winning story will be published in the prestigious Orwell Society Journal
– Open to students of UK Universities who are also UK residents
Full details including entry form here
Short video of me talking about it here
We can’t wait to read this year’s entries!